Detox juices are infused with the flavors of fresh fruits, vegetables, or herbs. It is also referred to as fruit-infused water or fruit-flavored detox juices. These are intended to get rid of excess toxins, improve digestion and immunity, and boost metabolism. These are simple to prepare at home and have relatively less calories than fruit juices, and are also called “Master Cleanse”. Detox juices are an excellent substitute for fruit juices, soda drinks which are highly sugary in content. Detoxes are meant to be a routine part of restoring balance to your health.
Detox juices are generally prepared by fusion of fruits and vegetables with water. Certain ingredients like honey, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, Lemon juice, functional leaves etc are added to enhance the taste and nutritional value of detox juice.
Detoxes tries to fulfil the three umbrellas of health conditions.
- To replace foods with liquids.
- Supports the body’s natural detoxification process.
- Cleanse digestive tract via the colon.
These detox juices can be divided into 3 groups. They are as follows:
- Herbal Detox Juices
- Ayurvedic Detox Juices
- Mixed Detox Juices
- HERBAL DETOX JUICES : Natural herbs and supplements are the new trends in healthcare. It induces a state of well-being without contributing to harmful side effects. Herbs like cilantro, mint leaves, licorice herbs, Kratom, dandelion root, milk thistle, chlorella, skullcap root, rhubarb root, ginger, juniper berry, and burdock root are used. These herbs are now grown in Indian nurseries because of its health benefits.
- Health Benefits of Herbal Detox juices : These herbs ensure the proper production of liver enzymes, strengthens immunity, maintains blood sugar levels, clears acne, reduces bloating, improves metabolism and flushes the waste through urine, feces and sweat. The duration for recognizing the changes in health conditions after consuming herbal detox juices is 3 – 14 days and can be taken daily and thus also act as a “Daily Support”. The intended results are feeling younger, healthier, and more energized.
- Restriction of Herbal detox juices : According to health conditions and age groups, herbal detox juices are restricted.
- For pregnant & Breastfeeding women : During pregnancy and breastfeeding, higher fluctuations in hormones, enzymes are observed and consuming these juices also lays extra burden on kidneys, thus consumption of herbal detox juices may aggravate these imbalances.
- Children and adolescents : During adolescence and childhood, the body is at a higher phase of detoxifying naturally and do not require any additional drink for cleaning
- Diabetes, Ulcerative colitis, kidney ailments : Intake of detox juices may burden the kidneys and raise the blood sugar levels which may aggravate and worsen the body conditions and thus consumption of such herbal drinks should be avoided or consumed only after consultation with the health care professional.
- AYURVEDIC DETOX JUICES : Ayurvedic Herbal Juices has been used in Indian culture from ancient times and is the traditional healing drink which tends to improve Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Health. These detox juices are engaged in regular detoxifying that rid the toxins, ultimately preventing illnesses.
- Health Benefits of Ayurvedic Detox juices : Ayurvedic Detox juices removes toxins via urine, faeces and sweat.It helps to relieve constipation, asthma, arthritis, skin issues, urinary tract infections, Constipation, flu, Viral fevers, Congestion, Sleep, Soothes GIT, Improves Serotonin, cold and cough. Ashwagandha, Boswellia, Triphala, Lavender, Essential Oils, Peppermint, Amla, Brahmi, Cumin seeds, Turmeric, Gotu kola, Bitter melon, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cloves, star anise, Nutmeg are the ingredients used in ayurvedic Detox juices. Time span to feel the changes in body conditions after consumption of ayurvedic detox juices is 1- 10 days.
- Restriction of Ayurvedic detox juices : During kidney treatment, heart ailments, dizziness, ayurvedic detox juices are not recommended to consume, as they alter electrolyte balance in body leading to further complications.
- MIXED DETOX JUICES : Detox juices which are prepared by fusion of fruits & vegetables with a herb is called Mixed detox juice. This can be simplified as a combination of ayurvedic, herbal food items with fruit and vegetable juice. These not only detox the body but also provide nutrients
- Health benefits of Mixed detox juices : Mixed detox juices are rich in vitamins and minerals.Inclusion of dry fruits, oil seeds in mixed detox juices adds healthy fat content in the detox juice. These drink hydrates the blood, cleans the blood streams and provide adequate minerals and vitamins
- Restriction of Mixed Detox juices : Mixed detox juice lacks carbohydrates, protein and thus pregnant, lactating women should not switch from their diet to mixed detox juices completely. Mixed detox juices can be taken along with diet. People aiming for weight gain should avoid mixed detox juices as it may tend to boost the metabolic rate.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF DETOX JUICES :
- Liver Detox : Liver is the major detoxifying organ and consumption of detoxifying juices triggers the organ to speeden the phase of detoxification in the body.
- Improves Digestive Health : Detox juices clean the digestive tract and rid the body from the toxins by promoting bowel movements. Detox juices prevent stomach cramping, diarrhea, bloating, gas formation, heartburn, vomiting, perforated bowels, electrolyte imbalance, Constipation etc.
- Weight Loss : Water temporarily raises the metabolic rate, burns more calories and fills the stomach easily and thus reduces the quantity of food intake. Daily consumption of detox juices before exercise, heats up the fat cells rapidly and tends to burn fat stored in these cells.
- Relieves Muscle Cramps : Detox juices consist of various micronutrients which aids in normal muscle contractions and relieves cramps
- Balancing Ph of Body : Accumulation of toxins in blood and cells, may alter the pH, color, function of blood and cells which can be improved by consumption of detox juices
- Boosting immune System : On a daily basis, the body fights with various pathogens entering our body through various sources. If food lacks all the nutrients which are essential for antibody production, the rate of multiplication of the pathogens increases and weakens the immune system. Detox juices consists of micronutrients which aids in production of antigens which kills the pathogens, flushes them from body and strengthen the immune system
- Improving Mood : As detox juices gives instant hydration, micro minerals and a better taste, they trigger the serotonin hormone which aids in management of mood swings
- Provides Instant Energy : Even mild dehydration can affect mood, concentration, and energy levels. Detox juices are loaded with micronutrients and water, these get easily absorbed in bloodstream and provides instant energy
- Hydrates Skin : Skin health is primarily concerned with water. Ample intake of water, hydrates the skin by opening the skin pores and cleaning the skin pores from dust and allergens prevents the skin from infection, blackheads, acne and other skin ailments
- Maintains Hair, Nails and Eye Health : Toxins are the waste materials which are not excreted out of the body on time, whose accumulation in body may give an adverse effect on the body, and their removal from body may maintain the health of nails, hair and eye as detox juices consists of vitamins and minerals
SPECIFIC DETOX JUICES PREVENTING DISEASES/ DISORDERS :
There are certain detox juices which can control minor disorders/diseases depending upon the combination of fruits and vegetables used in preparation of detox juices. They are as follows
- For Acidity – Grapes, orange, sweet lime, carrot and spinach combination detox juice.
- For Acne – Pear, plum, grapes, tomato, cucumber combination detox juice.
- Allergies – Apricot, grapes, beet, spinach and carrots combination detox juice.
- Anemia – Prune, red grape, beetroot, celery, strawberry, carrot and spinach combination detox juice.
- Arteriosclerosis – Grapefruit, pineapple, celery, lettuce and spinach combination detox juice.
- Arthritis – Pineapple, sour apple, sour cherry, lemon, grapefruit, cucumber, beetroot, spinach, grapefruit combination detox juice.
- Asthma – Apricot, lemon, peach, carrot, radish and celery combination detox juice.
- Bladder ailments – Apple, watercress, parsley, celery, lemon, cucumber, carrot combination detox juice.
- Bronchitis – Onion, carrot, peach, tomato, pineapple, lemon combination detox juice.
- Cellulite – Carrot, apple, ginger, beet combination detox juice.
- Constipation – Carrot, Apple, spinach combination detox juice.
- Colds – Spinach, celery, carrot, onion, grapefruit, pineapple combination detox juice.
- Diabetes – Citrus fruits, celery, lettuce, spinach and carrots combination detox juice.
- Depression – Carrot, Apple, Beetroot, Spinach combination detox juice.
- Diarrhoea– Papaya, lemon, pineapple, carrot and celery combination detox juice.
- Eczema – Cucumber, beetroot, red grapes, spinach combination detox juice.
- Epilepsy – Figs, red grapes, carrot, celery, spinach combination detox juice.
- Eye disorders – Apricot, tomato, parsley, spinach, celery combination detox juice.
- Fatigue – Carrot, lemon, oranges, spinach combination detox juice.
- Gout – Red sour cherries, tomato, cucumber, spinach, carrot, celery combination detox juice.
- Halitosis – Apple, tomato, grapefruit, celery, carrot, spinach combination detox juice.
- Hangover – Pineapple, honey combination detox juice.
- Headache – Grapes, lemon, carrot, lettuce, spinach combination detox juice.
- Heart diseases – Beet, spinach, red grapes, lemon, cucumber, carrot, grapefruit combination detox juice.
- High blood pressure – Grapes, orange, carrot, beetroot combination detox juice.
- Indigestion – Carrot, cabbage, beetroot combination detox juice.
- Influenza – Apricot, onion, carrot, orange, pineapple, grapefruit combination detox juice.
- Insomnia – Apple, grapes, lemon, carrot, celery combination detox juice.
- Jaundice – Pear, grapes, carrot, celery, spinach, cucumber, lemon combination detox juice.
- Kidney ailments – Apple, orange, lemon, cucumber, celery, parsley, beetroot combination detox juice.
- Liver ailments – Papaya, grapes, carrot, tomato, beet and cucumber combination detox juice.
- Memory loss – Peach, banana, lime combination detox juice.
- Menstrual disorders – Turnips, beetroot, prunes, cherry, spinach, grapes combination detox juice.
- Nervousness – Carrot, celery combination detox juice.
- Obesity – Lemon, orange, cherry, pineapple, papaya, tomato, beetroot, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, carrot combination detox juice.
- PMS – Pineapple, banana, soy milk combination detox juice.
- Psoriasis – Grapes, carrots, beet, cucumber combination detox juice.
- Stress – Strawberry, banana, pear combination detox juice.
- Tonsillitis – Apricot, lemon, orange, pineapple, spinach, radish, carrot combination detox juice.
- Ulcers – Carrot, cabbage, pineapple, papaya combination detox juice.
- Varicose veins – Watercress, plum, tomato, beetroot, carrot, grapes combination detox juice.
CONSUMPTION TIME :
Detox juices can be consumed at any time of the day but not along with meals. The best time to consume them is before and after a physical activity, early in the morning as soon as we wake up, and in the evening. Consumption of detox juices 1 hour before bed is beneficial in managing late night hunger pangs and excessive, frequent thirst during sleep.
Consume a detox juice of your choice daily and stay healthy.